Saturday, May 3, 2008

Photography Lesson


I am currently doing a self-study on digital photography and I am very proud that I have learned a lot so far.

The basics of digital photography are not really basic at all. They are somewhat complicated but what's good about them is that they guarantee good captures when they are applied in shooting.

Lighting is very important. It can either make or break your shot. You can shoot the same thing on the same angle for several times but the drama may vary just by shooting in different light conditions. I personally don't like to use the flash as much as possible because it totally destroys the reality that I want to capture. The photo once uploaded on the PC or printed, looks artificial with the flash. Try capturing bright subjects amidst the darkness without the flash and you'll get amazing shots, (see photo), etc.

Camera

It's also a no-no to position your subject against the light. Your subject must be facing the light so you can capture the intricate details. There are times that it is acceptable to position your subject against the light and it is only when you want to emphasize the background more than the foreground because the latter would just appear as shadows for sure, (eg: my profile photo),etc.

The angle is very important. With a baby crawling on the floor as the subject, his head would appear bigger than the rest of his body if you'll shoot him from the top. For human subjects, the best angle is always eye-level or a li'l bit lower than the eye-level then close-up. The emotion expressed by the face through the eyes and the lips is the most significant event above anything else (see photo).

Cute girl

Cute girl playing balloon

Jerry Collins

Good focusing also makes a picture better. You gotta learn to position your subject in such a way that the background would not appear distracting. I am beginning to love macro shots, where the subject is up close then the rest of the picture is just a blur. Subjects need not to be at the center of the viewfinder at all times. Apply rule of thirds. Imagine three rows and three columns on your viewfinder and then make sure that your subject falls at any of the intersections of these rows and columns.

Refreshment

Side camera

nisah n adek ati

(ps: most of the pictures were taken when i went to rotorua,nz and pasifica festival early this year)

One last thing, a good tip from my friend, Azri: "The question is not what to shoot, it is when to shoot." For me, never stopped looking for reasons to shoot if you love photography. You can capture a group of ants anytime and result would just be like nothing. A shot of a group of ants carrying dried leaves as they march IS something.

I know I still have so many things about to learn, but at least I know now the basics. It is important for everyone to know how to use the camera, not just to know what the perfect camera is and then purchase it.

After all, it's not the bow and the arrows that matter; it's Robinhood.

No comments: